Friday, March 9, 2012

A Real Rookie

The "itch" started with my first set of kitchen curtains.  Straight lines, no pattern, easy stitching.  It sounded so simple.  Without the help of my wonderful Sewing Coach, Ms. Prissy, I don't know that my first experience with a sewing machine would have given me such joy - even though my lines were definitely not straight, my cutting was way off, and once hung, the signs of a real rookie stared back at me.  I quickly learned (and hopefully you will, too) that isn't the point of sewing.  It's all about learning, growing, and to keep creating new things.  All from a piece of fabric.  I know, I know, it sounds really cheezy and corny - but if you are reading this and have wanted to pick up the dusty sewing machine, or take that first sewing class, or even call your Mom for a lesson - just do it!  It's really quite magical, don't you think? Give me a thread, a needle, (good) scissors, and some great fabric and you can make anything - really, anything.  Have you SEEN all the patterns, clothes, bags, etc.. out there? 

So many ideas waiting for you, particularly at stores like Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabrics. As a rookie in sewing, I've asked many questions to the Hancock and Lobby Ladies.  They're so helpful to ones just starting out!  And, it's no secret these places have great values, coupons, and a world of fabrics to choose from, too! 

Here's the finished product: 

And, with my very patient instructor, Ms. Prissy, who spent a few hours (ok, let's be honest - more than a few) giving her wisdom to me while allowing me to use her sewing machine. 
What are you waiting for?

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Emily.You'll have a hobby that will keep you busy and give you pleasure for years to come. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mary! I sure love all the joy it's giving me so far. I hope to pass this on to future children and maybe grand-children one day? Blessings to you, too!

    ReplyDelete