Monday, April 1, 2013

DIY Burlap Curtains

Hey Y'all,
Guess what?  I have a tutorial for you - can you believe it?  I know, I know...I'm long overdue. 

Wouldn't you agree that every woman needs to know how to make a curtain, especially with the trend of Chevron fabric and cute burlap out there?!  If you're feeling domestic and in the mood for a change - here's an easy DIY tutorial for you.  Curtains were my first project as a seamstress, and it only gets easier with each one.  You might actually find yourself looking for places to hang a curtain because they're so easy to make and always gives a huge facelift to your windows. 

My window at work provides a great source of natural lighting - but it's really boring and drab.  So, I knew a cute cafe curtain would do the trick. 

BEFORE Pic. 




The Shopping:
- 1-2 yds of burlap fabric,
for a "cafe" style curtain.  You will need more if you're doing a floor length. 
- Cafe rod: these are
inexpensive at places like Target, or Wal-Mart.
- Coordinating thread, I chose white.


- Iron and ironing board: always iron your fabric before you sew - makes life easier.  Even with burlap
- Pins:
I recommend using the ones with little colored balls at the end of them - this helps locate those little gems if they fall on the ground.
- Wide burlap chevron ribbon
(optional)
- Sewing machine:  I highly recommend a Singer "Simple" Model #2263 - it's a great starter machine.




The Process:

Step 1:
Take your burlap and measure to your specifications.  My window measured 38" wide, so I cut to 40" to allow for more "scruntch" at the top of your tab. I measured about 20-22" for the length, although - looking back, I would have cut it a bit shorter, closer to 18". 

Step 2:
Make your top tab (where the rod will go) - I measured 3" for the top fold, pic 1a.  Then, pin this down all the way across, as seen in pic 1b.
1a.
1b.














Step 3:
Sew your seam.  I made the stitch to line up with the left side of my foot, pic 2.  The good thing about burlap is that it's really hard to tell what the "wrong" side is vs. the "right" side.  So, if you mess up - it's easy to cover.  
2













 
Step 4
:

Check to make sure your finished seam is what you want.  From experience, sometimes your thread gets caught and knoted.  So, make sure before you go any further that your seam is smooth and has no knots.  Your stitching should look something like this (pic 3) on the RIGHT side of your fabric (what will be facing you).
3




















  


Step 5:
Sew your bottom tab - I did a 1" fold.  Typically your bottom tab is much thinner than your top tab.  Pin this down, but do NOT sew yet. 
4























Step 6:
Take your wide ribbon and place the ribbon on top of your fold (pic 5a.).  Then, pin this down (pic 5b.)

5a
5b















Step 7:
Then, take your curtain and flip over to the WRONG side, and sew your ribbon to the bottom tab.  Your ribbon should be touching the base of your machine.  In other words, if you're sewing and your ribbon is on top, you need to flip it over to the other side.  Reference pic 6 below.


6















Then, flip over back to the right side and you are finished - enjoy the new addition to your office space, or home...

AFTER

Now, it's your turn!  Any other projects you're working on that you want to share with me?!  I'm always up for a new idea. 

Southern Love,

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment