Friday, March 23, 2012

I am WOMAN...Hear me ROAR!

*Disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with sewing, but (I think) completely blog-worthy.

For the past 17-ish months, we've been painting, drilling, nailing, cutting, scraping, tearing, and pulling apart and transforming our old house to make it the "new" Siemens' home.  It's been a LOT of WORK and most days, it's no fun.  To be honest, I don't know that I would buy a fixer-up-er again, but every now and then we see a glimmer of hope when a new light is up, a wall is re-painted, or like last night...a piece of our lawn is changed. 
I've had a gargantuan cactus that's starred at me every time I've pulled into my driveway.  It was absolutely hideous and disgusting.  For months, I've toyed with the idea of hiring someone to remove the sucker because it was such the eye sore.  Our front and back yard are complete disasters anyway - but this beast just made it sad.  After working in a one of my front "flower" beds after work yesterday, I kept eye-ing it. So, I picked up a shovel and went at it.  You would have thought I was trying to kill something or was furious and needed to let out some serious aggression.  The rotten pieces actually fell off easily, while the healthier ones gave me a run for my money.  I worked after dark and even flipped on my car port and porch light to help me see the thing.  I waited for the morning to see my work, my hard work, my "I am WOMAN, hear me ROAR" kind-of-work. 

I couldn't find a before picture, but you can see the pile on the left and the spot under the tree where the cactus with legs once stood (on the right).




Food for thought:  In relation to your own life, is there something you have that you may need to get rid of because it's spoiling the life out of you?  I couldn't help but think last night as I was tearing into this half-dead cactus why it took me so long to (at the very least) try to get rid of it?  Of course, it made me realize there may be things in my personal life that I may need to get the shovel out and get digging.  What a difference it makes when I rid of the things that are rotten and only producing thorns. 

1 comment:

  1. If I had even half-heartedly tried this, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed this morning. You go, girl! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete