Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Just Call me Betty...Betty Crocker.

About a month ago, some of my girlfriends and I decided to share our love of sewing with each other.  Or, maybe we needed some extra help with our new ambitions after we got our sewing machines?  We picked a Saturday and the next thing you know, we had 6 ladies in our "Sewing Circle."  It was one of the best Saturdays I've spent in a long time.  We laughed, we ate, we drank some wine, and of course, we made our sewing creations.  Deb was our fearless leader and went from one station to the next giving her expert help to all of us!  One apron, two tops, pants, and curtains all made those sewing machines really "stretch their legs."  This was the very first time I opend my box and brought THE machine out to play.  I remember the excitment mixed with, "Now, what do I do with this?"  I just starred at the thing.  It was so intimidating.  It didn't take long for Deb to come to my rescue and show me the ropes. 

Did you know patterns are tricky?  Did you know the triangles in the pattern are to be mirrored when you cut?  Did you know not all of the pieces in a pattern package you'll want to cut out?  Do you know what fusible interfacing is (and did you know that I just googled that because I thought it was "infusible")?  Clearly, there is so much to learn in this sewing world...and I'm just. getting. started.

So, of course, it makes sense that the once beautiful hum of my sewing machine didn't quite drown out the frustrations when I doubled over some fabric or when I skipped a step or when I cut the fabric instead of cutting the fusible interfacing?  But, like I've said before, you keep going, because in the end - you have a new creation...for me, this time, it was an apron. 

Our next Sewing Circle is already scheduled...and yes, I've picked out my pattern.  It's a small, clutch purse.  I actually started on it already.  And, yes I stopped because I got confused.  Waiting till March 24 for Sewing Circle and Deb to come to my rescue! 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. I'm hoping the pattern I ordered gets here by then. :) If not, I'll pick something else to do. It's been YEARS since I used my machine. So we'll see how it goes. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete