Friday, July 13, 2012

Rockin', Rollin' and SEWIN'...

Never in a MILLION, TRILLION years would I have guessed that I would be telling you, my blogging family, about a small little business of mine.  Wait, let's rewind - blog and business.  Those two "b" words were never in my vocabulary before.  It's been so thrilling to introduce these two words into my language!  Who would have thought that Mom's Christmas purchase in 2011 would turn into the best gift that kept giving in 2012?

After week one of opening my Southern Sewendipity Facebook page, I have completed 8 orders of custom, homemade clutches for 2 sisters, 2 co-workers, 1 out-of-state friend, 1 "2nd mother", and 2 girlfriends.  Believe it or not, I just confirmed 1 additional order for another.  The world of technology and word-of-mouth is a girl's best friend when it comes to advertising her favorite accessory.  In the world of marketing and accessories, 8 is a small, very tiny number in comparison to companies like Coach or Vera Wang.  But, let's face it - I'm just a Southern girl, in a small town, just doing what she loves.  So, eat your heart out, Vera!  I see eight as the new 1K!  

Lessons learned so far:


  1. Don't be afraid to "take the plunge", even it means standing at the edge for a long time.  Don't watch what everyone else is doing...you'll jump when you're ready.  
  2. Practice.  You learn more with every step. 
  3. Ask for help.  There are many people willing to give you great advice.  
  4.  Let your creativity flow...sewing leaves the door WIDE open to create things that reflect you.  Take advantage of allowing this opportunity to show others a side they may have never seen before.
                                                                  and....
  5. Don't forget to HAVE FUN.  Sewing has become a hobby for me.  Something I enjoy doing when everything else around me isn't enjoyable.  Don't let it become "homework." 
 I think it's time to introduce Southern Sewendipity's line-up.  I think they are a pretty fabulous crew, don't you? 

(Don't forget, you can inquire more with our Etsy Shop: here and visit us on Facebook here):

"Wild Thang"




The "Su-Su" clutch (named after my Mom a.k.a Su-Su)



"Southern Belle"






























"Chevron"
"Summer Sky"

















No comments:

Post a Comment